Saturday, January 24, 2009

Introduction letter- Donna Twardy


My name is Donna Twardy. I was raised in Tucson, Arizona until I was eleven years old, so I went to elementary school there. Then, my family moved to the Rancho Penasquitos area, so I attended Black Mountain Middle School and then Mt. Carmel High School. I dabbled in some courses at Palomar Community College, but then decided I was making enough money working at Vons grocery store. I thought, “why get a college degree if I was happy at my job?” Well, eighteen years, a husband, and two kids later, I realized what a mistake I made! I now knew I wanted more out of life than working at a grocery store. I went back to college while working full time to finally earn my bachelors degree. I attended the University of Phoenix. My main reason for choosing UoP is because I thought I was going to be the oldest student in class if I went anywhere else. I have since gotten over this hang-up and that is what brings me to Cal State San Marcos.

I have a PC, and have limited experience using a MAC, but like what I have seen so far. I use technology at my job as an Instructional Aide in a special day class in San Marcos. I have eight computers in my classroom and my students use several software programs and web based learning tools. I also have experience with creating and editing IEP’s using the online program through NCCSE. Some technology that I use at home includes a digital camera, an Ipod, CD player, the Wii and Xbox 360 gaming systems, and two laptop computers.

The part of the CSUSM mission statement that I agree with the most is the last sentence, “Our practices demonstrate a commitment to student-centered education, diversity, collaboration, professionalism, and shared governance”. I have worked in the San Marcos Unified School district for over four years and have seen these concepts in action. The special education program is absolutely student centered and focused on inclusion and diversity. The collaboration amongst students, staff, and families is seen daily. I have seen several student teachers from CSUSM come though my classroom over the years and the common thread they have all shared is their commitment to professionalism and their focus on the students. I am very excited to be a part of the credential program at Cal State San Marcos.

11 comments:

  1. Donna,
    Thanks for your commment on my blog. It has been tough to finally get going back to school so I know what you went through. That's awesome!! Did you by chance know Cindy or Mark Hood when you went to Mt Carmel? they are my aunt and uncle and probably would have been students there at the same time.
    With your experience at school you probably have more experience than the rest of us with the classroom technology aspect.
    Hope to meet you on wed.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, thanks for commenting on my blog as well. Going back to school, I think, is probably one of the easiest and most difficult decisions for people to make. That's awesome that you had the experience with the 8 tracks and Beta... my mom still has her 8 track player! Don't worry about coming back and being a different age than the rest of us... I'm probably a younger one in class and have no experience teaching yet, so you've got something I don't as well! See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna,
    I was SOOOO excited to come home from work and find your comment on my blog! I've been at work all day, hoping that I'd come home and someone (besides my mom) would have looked at it. It's exciting for me to realize that I CAN operate a computer!
    I relate to aspects of your intro paragraph concerning going back to school. I find your experiences inspiring, and hearing your story makes me feel excited about going back to school. While my classes at CSUSM have been very diverse so far, there are moments when I'm in class (especially at Palomar) when I feel that I must be the oldest student in the room, and I'm 27. I think that the older I get, the more I come to understand the importance of education, which is certainly something I didn't appreciate in my teens and early 20's.
    I have incredible respect for you, going to school while managing a family and a job--you must be very passionate about teaching! Hope to meet you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Donna! It was nice to get to know you via blogger! What type of work do you do at San Marcos school district? And what did you get your undergrad degree in? Nice to meet you! See you good old classaroo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Donna! I think that it is totally awesome that you have gong back to school and succeeded in getting your degree after being married and having kids. Reading you blog was an inspiration because you seem very goal driven and successful. It sounds like you have a lot of experience in the educational field. How did you get into the position at the school you are in now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna,
    There's no age limit to learning. I'm impressed that you were able to finish your degree with a full time job and a family. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going back to school will be the right choice in the long run. It's inperational that as a mother and wife, you are still finding the time to be a student as well. Good luck! =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Donna -
    I'm really impressed with your blog and glad to get to know you in our classes. How great to have your calling to become a teacher, and it's inspiring to hear you are motivated by those who have come before us to graduate CSUSM's credential program. We have that common thread....it's exciting to hear you've been accepted for the summer program. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Donna,
    I agree with the statement that you have chosen from CSUSM. I volunteer at my children's school and I do see a lot of student focused programs that really work and help the student.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sis!
    I am very proud of you for knowing what you want to do and going for it! You are never too old to follow your dreams.
    Love, Big Sis

    ReplyDelete