Thursday, February 19, 2009

Social Bookmarking (NETS 2)

I chose Eyewitness from the National archives website. It had some eyewitness accounts and videos from people who were actually at historic events. I love History, so that is why that one caught my eye. I think that this would be a good resource to use in the classroom if you were learning about something like the Titanic, or the assassination of a president.

On the National Education Association website, the three areas that will fit my teaching style are to determine which diverse groups we are serving at our school, to have discussions with staff about ways to further our professional development regarding cultural competence, and to network with other schools to determine various ways to demonstrate cultural competence. I think it would be hard to engage school staff in discussions and activities that offer an opportunity to explore attitudes, beliefs, and values related to cultural diversity and cultural competence in my current position as an Instructional Aide. I think it would be different if I were a teacher on staff, especially since I will be in Special Education.

From the KidsClick website, I found an interesting site on bats with a readability level of 3.6. I actually shared it with the class I worked in yesterday and they loved it!

From Kathy Schrock's website, I found some cool slide show presentations that I can use in the classroom. One of them was titled "The 4 c's; computers, curriculum, communication, and the classroom. This presentation showed how to identify and locate technology resources and
evaluate them for accuracy and suitability, reflect on professional practice to make informed decisions regarding the use of technology in support of student learning and diversity, and to use technology to communicate and collaborate with peers, parents, the large community.

From the Instructional Module on Multiple Intelligences, I learned that I have an Intrapersonal personality. This is not really news to me since I have always done better working alone than in groups. I am independent in both my personal and my work life. Now the key is to determine how to be the best teacher I can be with an Intrapersonal personality type. I also found the linguistics area interesting.

From the Teaching Tolerance website, I chose the Defenders of Justice classroom activity. In this activity for grades 3-5, students summarize biographies of individuals who fought racism and helped make it possible for a black man to serve as President of the United States. Students compare thoughts on different biographies and talk about the path that made it possible for our president to be elected in 2009.

My score on the multicultural assessment was 8 wrong and 7 correct. These were some tough questions. I can't believe some of the statistics. Hopefully if I take this assessment again in a year, I will get more correct. I found number 6 interesting, "The U.S. military budget is by far the highest of any country in the world. How much higher is the U.S. military budget than that of China, the world’s second biggest military spender? "The answer was 7 times higher. Unbelievable when we have the budget problems all over the news right now. I also found it fascinating that over 2,600,000 people in the U.S. are millionaires.

=^D (big grin)
Netiquette is very important to teach in the classroom. I especially like rule number five because it stresses the importance of spelling and grammar. I cannot even tell you how many times I have received emails from people with basic words spelled incorrectly. This really bugs me! You can use spell check on email, people;<

No comments:

Post a Comment